“The Musical Locksmith”

by Jon on October 21, 2010

If you live in the southern California area, you have, no doubt, heard of “The Smell-Good Plumber” advertising on the radio.  Right?  I think that’s a really great “gimmick” and helps people remember him whenever they need to have a drain unclogged.

Well, I’ve been thinking about that lately and wondering what I could come up with for my business that would help people remember me.  Those who know me well know that I love playing guitar.  So I’m thinking why don’t I combine my passion for music with my work?  My wife thinks it’s a really dumb idea and she’s probably right; but I’m having fun thinking of the possibilities.

Here’s what I mean …  “Introducing ‘The Musical Locksmith’ (a.k.a. the “The Lock-Pickin’ Guitar Picker” or, the other way around, “The Guitar-Pickin’ Lock Picker” (GPLP).

Combining My Passion With My Work

Combining My Passion With My Work -- a Keytar

…kinda like Peter Piper – a good friend of mine.  Peter was a Picker too.  Only Peter picked pecks of pickled peppers as you well know.  What’s less well known is “How many pecks of pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?”  Right?  And, frankly I doubt you or anyone else cares.  Even though Peter and I were close friends, I really don’t care – same with “Jimmy Crack Corn”…I DON’T CARE!  I’m not even sure what that means come to think of it.  Was  Jimmy always going around telling bad jokes or something?  …could explain why the Master went away.  I didn’t really know Jimmy all that well; he might have been a picker too.  Maybe I shouldn’t be so harsh on him.  But I digress…

Well, you get the idea.  I plan to post some of my music on my blog from time to time; and you’re welcome to download it and listen to it as much as you like.  Christmas is coming up soon; so I will definitely post some Christmas music for your enjoyment.

For now, I’ll start off with something I call “Scenes to Relax By”.  Did I mention I’m also a photographer?  So I could take “pictures of pickers picking(say that ten times quickly) guitars and picking locks and Peter picking pecks of pickled peppers!  (By the way, what is a peck? Is that like a cubit?) See, there are lots of ways to go here.  🙂

Please let me know what you think of the idea.  And if you agree with my wife and think I’m nuts, let me know that too and I might rethink this whole thing.  🙂

Meantime, I hope you enjoy the video and have a great day!

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Delmy Cotnoir January 20, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Nice post mate.

Natalie Walker December 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm

WOW !!!! I’m impressed Jon….First of all the music is wonderful…I remember from years ago (You play the guitar well)…..I like the title “The Musical Locksmith”…whether it’s pickin and grinnin or lock pickin and grinnin……this is great music from the heart !!!! coming from a person with parents that played guitar and a son who is a very accomplished guitar and song writer…”I say go for it” Scenes to relax by…..you got my vote !!!!!

Myrtle Wahl December 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Hey Jon
I agree with the rest keep a picking .

stacy November 22, 2010 at 3:19 am

great one

bet365 November 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

hi!This was a really marvelous post!
I come from roma, I was luck to seek your Topics in wordpress
Also I obtain much in your subject really thank your very much i will come every day

Jon October 28, 2010 at 9:08 am

Thank-you George. I really appreciate the kind comments. Have a great day! Jon

george mills October 28, 2010 at 5:14 am

good morning jon,
you are truly a unique and interesting character. i really like this . i played it this morning at 5:12 and the melody was soothing for tired eyes and mind trying to get some work done early.
i would like to spend some time finding out what makes you tick(pick) !
have a great day!
george
a better look inspections

Mike Kohloff October 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

Or… “you just can’t lick that guitar pick’n lock picker.”

Mike Kohloff October 25, 2010 at 11:36 am

Go for it Jon. Absolutely delightful. Just don’t neglect opera arias.
How about an electrician with a violin?

Betty Nokes October 25, 2010 at 9:36 am

As always, you’ve captured the serene and quiet beauty of the California coast, and your haunting melody lends it even greater beauty. Over the years your ‘guitar pickin’ has evolved into your own distinct style that is like no other I’ve heard. And your website is great. You’ve put together a really enjoyable site that draws one back to it to see your latest pictures and stories. The stories, pictures and music reflect your inner self in a beautiful way. I do believe your wife is wrong on this one. We love it!

RON SHIRES October 25, 2010 at 8:13 am

Your friendship with Peter has the fragrance of one or the other of you being contagious and passing it to the other. I enjoyed it generously. I kept seeing us in the old church after everyone else had gone home. You do have a good eye with the camera. Sam does also. His surgery to eliminate the Parkinson’s shakes was a success last Friday. In two weeks they will start the machinery and then he just has to be careful as his new knee heals.

I would be pleased to see further installations of your dialoge with the Picker family. Don’t put your marriage at risk over it though.

Jon October 24, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Thanks Ruth. I really appreciate your very kind comments. 🙂

Ruth Boylan October 24, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Hey Jon….
Always love to hear you play…..and your pictures are so beautiful. What could be better than combining the things that make up your life…. and enjoying them in the process… By the way… you were cracking me up… and I do care! So go for it… do what you love… you can regret that ever!

admin October 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Thank-you Sandi. I can always count on you to be supportive. 🙂 I really appreciate you.

Sandi October 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Well, I thought your idea was pretty cool myself…upbeat and interesting and the music’s great too! Keep it up!